Friday, July 11, 2008

TeamSC Artist of the Week - Marymarsh



Thanks to Marymarsh of www.marymarsh.etsy.com for agreeing to be our TeamSC artist of the week for next week. Marymarsh (yes, that's her name!) makes the most delightful little girls' ponytail holders and hair clips. She joined Etsy in February of 2007, and in less than a year and a half later, she has more than 2100 sales to her credit. She says that being creative is one of the simple joys in her life, and she takes great pride in everything she does. Marymarsh believes you get out of life what you put into it, and that the effort you put into something can make all the difference. Amen, sister!

Where in South Carolina do you live, and were you born here? If not, how long have you been in SC?

I live in Charleston, SC. I was born in Charlotte, NC and grew up there. I moved to Charleston in 1994 after graduating from UNC Chapel Hill.

What do you like best about living in South Carolina?

What I like best about living in South Carolina are the friendly people here. I also love living so close to the beach!


How long have you been involved in your craft, and how did you get started?

I have been making hair accessories since February of 2007. I actually started making them for myself at first, however, I was starting to have quite a “collection” of excess fabrics. So, why not make more to sell, and Etsy was the perfect place to do so!

Do you work from your home, or do you have a brick and mortar store?

I do all my work from my home. Everything is handmade solely by me.

Who or what inspires you?

I have always loved making crafts. Being creative is one of the simple joys in life for me. It’s the “creating something from nothing” that I enjoy. Starting my own business was something I’ve always wanted to do. I’d have to say that my inspiration came from my father who also owns his own business. I’ve seen the dedication and hard work it takes, but I am always willing to accept and take on any challenges. So far, it’s been a dream come true!



Do you have a method for remembering ideas you want to implement, such as a notebook or tape recorder, etc.?

I don’t have any specific method for remembering ideas I want to implement. My ideas seem to stay fresh in my mind until I actually put them into something tangible. It seems that the “wheels” are always turning in my head thinking of what new product I can create next.

What do you do when you hit a brick wall creatively and nothing is working?

Luckily for me so far, this has not happened. There are always new fabrics and new designs. It seems that there is always something new that I can make.

What is the most rewarding, interesting, or even weirdest thing you’ve ever been asked to make?

One of the most interesting custom orders I was asked to make recently was for the nicest lady in Italy. She wanted a gift for her literary teacher who was teaching about Dante’s The Divine Comedy Trilogy: The Inferno, Purgatory, and Paradise. She wanted a bookmark set with each bookmark representing a volume of the Trilogy. It was challenging to find fabrics to represent each of the three volumes, but very rewarding in the end, especially knowing that my customer was very pleased with the outcome.

What are some of your goals for your craft, and where do you hope it will take you? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Some goals for my business include adding new products to my shop over the next several months. I also plan to expand by selling my products in some local shops in the Charleston area. I do hope to gain more publicity as well. I have already been featured in Lowcounty Living Magazine in the May/June 2008 issue. In 5 years, I see myself running a very successful company.

What are your hobbies, or how do you like to spend your free time, assuming you have any?

My hobbies include going on walks with my husband and our dog, spending time at the beach, shopping, going to lunch with friends, and reading.

Now for the fun stuff!

Favorite color? Black
Favorite food? Spaghetti
Favorite song or musical artist? John Mayer
Favorite book or author? Mary Higgins Clark
Favorite movie, actor or actress? Big Daddy
And most importantly, Clemson or Carolina?

Carolina! But also the blue Carolina too! ~ I’m a UNC alumni!

No comments: