Friday, January 9, 2009

My First Completed Bottle of Hope!

I have wanted to make a Bottle of Hope since I heard about them upon joining PCAGOE last April, but struggled and agonized over several failed attempts. FINALLY, finally, finally, I made one that I like, one that the clay didn't slide down into a puddle during baking! I think it was the gold metallic clay I used this time.

I chose a ginko leaf stamp because the ginko leaf is a symbol of longevity and endurance. It's a tribute to the courage of the cancer patients these bottles go to, which I have witnessed first hand this year. Several family members were diagnosed with cancer in 2008 and I have seen their struggles and their triumphs in fighting the disease. Sharon, Eric, Julie, and Uncle Charles, the next ones will be for you!

This features the verdigris faux finish I've been experimenting with, and I really love the interest it adds to a stamped piece. Acrylic paint, which I've used here as well, also helps add definition to a stamped piece.

Longevity and Endurance BOH

BOH Closeup

BOH Back

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is just beautiful.

Beth

Marcia P. said...

The bottle is gorgeous.