Sunday, July 25, 2010

Autumn On My Mind

I am not a Summer girl. I hate it, and hate really is not too strong a word. I love my state, but I could happily live at the North Pole rather than suffer through this sweltering, "steal your breath" heat and humidity and the gnats and mosquitos, which we seem to have 9 months out of the year in South Carolina.

My favorite season, by far, is Autumn. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love the colors of fall, the brilliantly changing leaves; the crisp, cool air; trips to the Blue Ridge Mountains; and college football games.

In the 100 degree weather, with heat indexes up to 110, that we have been suffering through this week, my thoughts turned to those cool, crisp days and those brilliantly colored leaves. I started tagging my shop items with the 2010 Pantone Fall Fashion Colors and my mind started wandering to which of the new colors I have in gemstones.

I reworked this necklace using this "Tree of Life" pendant, my signature antique copper color blend. I added Picasso Jasper, Purple Impression Jasper, Desert jasper, Moukaite, and copper accents. I also added two handmade, hollow glass beads made for me by my friend Aja, who has a shop at Etsy called Wandering Spirit. Aja's work is so inspiring to me. I have purchased many of her hollow beads, and these are two of my favorites.



Now I'm in a Autumn state of mind, and I'm going back to the studio and conjure up a few more necklace designs in Fall colors.

4 comments:

Gaina said...

I'm not a fan of Summer either. I don't 'do' heat (even though our temperatures in the UK seem to hover around the high 70's to low 80's but this summer has been in the 90's quite frequently, particularly in the South East). I definitely have way more energy as soon as the clocks go back in October and I'm a happy bunny until late March.

Do you keep a sketch book? I had to do that when I was on my Art course and really struggled with it because I'm the kind of person that just gets on and does things without over-thinking it, but now I'm making jewellery I can see how sketch books can fit into my routine ;).

twizzy said...

I love it..it's wonderful for variation of colours, perfect manifacture...great!!!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, ladies!

Gaina, I can't draw a straight line, so it does me no good to sketch. What I do is cut out pictures from magazines with textures or images I want to try, and throw them in one of those photo sized boxes. When I get stuck for inspiration, I go through the box. :)

Gaina said...

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

Thank you, ladies!

Gaina, I can't draw a straight line, so it does me no good to sketch. What I do is cut out pictures from magazines with textures or images I want to try, and throw them in one of those photo sized boxes. When I get stuck for inspiration, I go through the box. :)


Wanna know a secret? I can't draw for toffee either! LOL

'Sketch book' is a bit of a misleading term I think because I discovered you don't actually have to draw in them and like you, I stick photos, colours and textures in a book and sometimes I even put my 'sketch book' in digital format on a CD-ROM.